Saturday, January 17, 2015

Grand Theft Auto V On The PS4

Grand Theft Auto V is now on the PS4 and Xbox One consoles with significant graphical upgrades. But first the pains just even starting to play the game, at least on the PS4.
GTA V took some time to in stall on the PS4. It took from my count, about 45 minutes to install at a huge size of about 55GB! It also downloaded at the same time a fairly large 1.14GB size 'day one update,' which is a trend that is really getting frustrating not just on GTA V but on other games as well. 
Getting past the long install and the day one patch. From the start the game looks amazing now that it is running at 1080 resolution. High resolution textures makes the GTA V world pop out even more.
My first few hours of the game, I did notice that I did not see the increase in traffic and NPC civilians as they showed in the teaser trailer. In fact it felt as if I was playing the PS3 version all over again but with HD graphics.
However, playing more of the game there were times when the game would just randomly generate huge amount of traffic and NPC civilians. For example, I would be walking down a sidewalk and turn a corner and notice the following street packed with civilians and then all of a suddenly the streets would get clogged with large amount of cars.

The foliage detail gets a noticeable increase. Walking in the back country of GTA V on the PS4 version has allot of plants and trees and such, which helps make the world more vibrant and real. The Xbox One version however, does not have the same amount of plants as the PS4 version.
The biggest change is the addition of a first person view mode. For the first time I can play through a GTA game in first person, which is very cool, but in practice is very hard. I don't know why, but I found playing through first person a little bit harder then in 3rd person view.
Also the first person view can at times cause dizziness. (I recommend you do not play GTA V in first person view while you have a head cold and ears clogged up, which I learned personally first hand. The dizziness is greatly amplified! Allot! It's not fun...)
Getting past the dizziness, the look in first person as Michael entering a car and hitting a object at full speed and flying out of the front wind shield as Michael tumbles in the air like a rag doll is pretty awesome. (Do not try this in real life!) 
The game is one of the best games I have played in a long time, and playing it again on the PS4 just increases the enjoyment of the game

GTA Online on the other hand is the same as the previous gen system except that on the PS4 version you are required to have a Playstation Plus membership to play instead being able to play free online on the PS3 version.
I also never really paid much attention to GTA Online because of 1 reason. There are allot of weird, cheating jerks playing GTA Online which takes away the fun about it. Some of the cheats, at least on the previous gen system is... well... extremely violating to which the person with the hack/cheat takes away control of another player in the game, and does something bad enough that I won't post what it is here. I am not sure if it like this on the PS4 version though, and I hope RockStar took that away in the current PS4 version.

GTA V on the PS4 is still one of the best games I have played on this generation and last generation systems. The addition of first person view adds a new way to play GTA V, and in my opinion makes it feel like an entire new game.

No comments: