Monday, September 18, 2017

Destiny 2: First Week.

I got Destiny 2 on day one for the Xbox One, and so far I am enjoying the game. It fells like the first Destiny but with allot of improvements.
Here are some of the things I noticed that have improved from the first Destiny.

  1. The story is much more focused. I still don't know the entire story of the first story as a whole. Destiny 2 makes it easier to understand. However, the backstory is hard to understand because the first Destiny is still hard to understand the story.
  2. Getting exotic gear early in Destiny 2. In the first Destiny it could take a very long time before your character can get an exotic item. (Exotic items are the highest rated items in Destiny), and I really like that.
  3. Match making for Raids in Destiny 2. I didn't play much raids in the first Destiny because there were no match making system in place unlike strikes. So I missed allot of the story in Destiny 1 because I didn't have any one to go on raids. Destiny 2 allows for match making. However, the requirements for the raids are high. (As of this writing I have yet to meet the requirements for a raid).
  4. No going into orbit when traveling with in the game world. Destiny 1 had the player go into orbit before traveling to other areas in the game. Destiny 2 allows to travel from the map anywhere.
There is one downside I see, and it's a well know downside. Two words, micro transaction!
  • Destiny 1 had something called shaders in which you could change the color of your character so that all your armor pieces would match. This was unlimited use in Destiny 1, and I really liked reusing shaders when it fits my mood.
  • Destiny 2 on the other hand removed this unlimited shaders changing it into a one time use only and requires a shader for each armor piece. For example one shader for the helmet, chest piece, arms, legs, banner and gun. That would be 6 shaders of the same color to get a matching set, and when I want to change armor I will not be able to reuse them. I would have to get more of the same color, and I am not guaranteed that I will get the same color dropped when playing the game. This leads to grinding, and playing the game over and over just to get the color shaders I want. Sometimes it could be quick and sometimes it takes allot of grinding. It feels a lot like gambling for a chance to get the colors shaders that I want.
  • This is where the micro transaction comes into play. There is a in game currency called silver that can only be purchased with real money, and the only way to buy more shaders is to use silver, and even then I do not think it is guaranteed that the colors you really want will drop when you purchase these shaders. I don't fully know this new system because I refuse to the micro transaction system in Destiny 2 and I do not like any micro transaction all together. 
  • Even the shaders that I have now I refuse to use because I am not getting the shaders that I really want, and when I find another armor set, which is more often that I change in Destiny 2. I don't get enough of the color, and I refuse to pay real money for a slim chance of getting the color.
  • MODs are another thing...
Other then the micro transaction. Overall I am enjoying Destiny 2 much more then Destiny 1.

No comments: