Saturday, March 16, 2013

SimCity And Constantly Connected To Internet DRM Mess Up!

When the new SimCity was announced, allot of people including me got excited about playing a new SimCity. When the news that the new SimCity would require a constant internet to play even in single player people called foul and foresaw trouble with an always online DRM requirement.
EA and Maxies always defended their decision, and the fans got even more concerned that this will not turn out well.
SimCity then launched on March 5th, 2013. On the first day I didn't really have trouble playing SimCity. I even played 9 hours straight. On the other hand many others didn't get so fortunate as they were unable to play at all or even log into the game servers.
The 2nd day was the day I felt the brunt of the always online DRM. I could not log into much of the servers, and when I logged into the North American West 1 Server. I managed to play a little over an hour and a half just before the server crashed again. Also the city I started on the NA West 1 server didn't save properly on the cloud server thus prompted me to revert back to a previous save, which it wouldn't let me do. It wouldn't even let me delete the region, but I found out later that it eventually deleted the region later.
When I did manage to get time to play SimCity. Maxies turned off allot of the none essentials features of the game including cheetah speed.
SimCity online DRM would allow a region to share resources with each other. Citizens from one city would travel to another city in the region for jobs, shopping and school. Did this happen when I played a few days after the game came out? No, not really... Each city in the region didn't trade anything. Citizens didn't travel between cities and I had to build each city as if they were self sustaining cities.
Of course it was allot worse for allot of other players. Review websites couldn't even review the game because of being unable to log into the servers to play the game.
The people who foresaw these problems before the game came out are now saying 'I told you so.'

Now, allot of the server problems have been fixed for many. I've been able to log into and play the game allot more. However, I am still having trouble trading resources between cities. For example, citizens will not travel to other cities with schools. Cheetah speeds are still down, and there are even more problems I've encountered.

They said that they have improved the major server issues allot, but it has left a bitter taste in my mouth and other players, but this debacle has already gone down in gaming history as one of the worst. Hopefully other game developers will learn from the mistakes that happened. Hopefully...

No comments: