Thursday, April 24, 2014

First Time With My New Linksys WRT1900AC: The Setup

Way back when I first got my Linksys WRT54G, I also had Verizon DSL for internet, and setting that up was a pain. The start-up CD didn't really work, and the Verizon DSL modem was set up really strange that neither Verizon or Linksys knew why my DLS modem wouldn't work when connected to the WAN internet port of my WRT54G. So I instead manually set my WRT54G as a pass through device, and it worked for for the 9 years I've had it, but there were short times that I was annoyed that I couldn't get it working when connecting my Modem into my WRT54G internet port.

Now with my new Linksys WRT1900AC and with the past experience with my older Linksys WRT54G's auto CD start-up not really working.
I decided to for go the "Smart Setup" on my new Linksys WRT1900AC and set it up manually. This didn't work well either.
My modem worked when I connected an ether-net cable directly to a computer without changing any settings on the computer. It was pretty much plug and play.
I thought I set up my Linksys WRT1900AC correctly because when I connected my modem into the WRT1900AC WAN internet port, the LED indicator light showed a steady internet connection, but yet I had no internet.
So I yet again used my new WRT1900AC as a passthrough device, but with an annoying problem.
When there is no cable connected to the WRT1900AC's WAN internet cable the LED internet indicator on the front would blink amber on and off.
An amber blinking light indicates a general hardware failure yet my WRT1900AC is working perfectly fine.
I wish there was a way to turn that internet LED indicator light and just the internet LED indicator light off because some people will use their Linksys WRT1900AC as just a passthrough device and having that internet LED indicator light blinking amber is just annoying.

Anyway, I decided to factory reset my WRT1900AC and start over and finally decided to use the "Smart Setup."
Let me just say it was a good thing I decided to use the "Smart Setup" because the thing worked! For the first time on either WRT1900AC and WRT54G I had my modem working when connected to my WRT1900AC internet port.
When I looked into the settings of my WRT1900AC I noticed that I wasn't far off when I was manually setting it up.
For some reason "Smart Setup" set the WRT1900AC's IP address totally different then I originally had it, and the DHCP server enabled with it's IP start up set bla bla bla. I wasn't far off when I originally tried to manually set it up, but I am very great full that the "Smart Setup" worked!

I am pretty good with computer and tech stuff, and discussing with my friends who are equally and even more tech savvy then I said I was heading in the right direction in manually setting my router up but they too were stumped that it wasn't working.

If your tech savvy enough to set up your router manually then go for it.
If your not, just use the "Smart Setup."


No comments: