Monday, April 21, 2014

Time For A New Wireless Router.

Yeah it's about time that I get a new wireless router. Way back when I got the popular Linksys WRT54G and it has served me well, but times have moved on and the slandered 802.11g wireless standard has now moved onto 802.11n and 802.11ac.
Majority of all the wireless in my neighborhood now have a router that uses 802.11n and I was pretty much the only one that still had a router that used 802.11g.
Which wireless router should I get?
There are allot of router brands out there. Some of the notable ones Asus, Cisco, D-Link, Netgear to name a few, but I am fond of the Linksys brand.
During the time of the WRT54G Linksys was owned by Cisco, but recently Linksys was sold by Cisco to Belkin which I was happy about too.
The days when Linksys was owned by Cisco. The routers that came after the WRT54G I thought was some what odd. For example, some of the routers required and active internet connection to set up. Many of them didn't have external antennas and came with internal antennas which I thought wouldn't be good for signal quality. Most of them were not capable of being mounted on the wall like the WRT54G could.
Those are some of the reason I didn't get another Linksys router after the WRT54G.
Asus, had some impressive wireless routers, but I didn't like the designs of their routers, and I think most of them couldn't be mounted on walls either.
I never did mount my router on my wall, but having the option to be able to mount routers on walls should be on all routers in my opinion. It makes it more flexible for each user.
What I really wanted was a newer model of the Linksys WRT54G with the newer 802.11n wireless radio standard.
CES 2014 on the other hand had a new Linksys router that went back to the WRT54G roots.
It's called the Linksys WRT1900AC and at first glance it looks like a WRT54G, but with four antennas! The WRT1900AC shares allot of the design of the WRT54G but with a sharp up to date modern look. WRT1900AC is large then a WRT54G. It's probably the biggest router I've seen, but it's capable of being wall mounted, and stackable. Meaning, I could stack another Linksys device on top of the WRT1900AC freeing up space. The four antennas are also removable and up-gradable
The WRT1900AC hardware specs is very impressive too. Simultaneous dual band, 2.4GHz and 5GHz, 1.2Ghz arm based dual core processor, 256MB DDR3 RAM, 128MB flash storage, 4 gigabit LAN ports, 1 gigabit WAN port, 1 USB 3 Port and 1 USB/eSATA port!
The WRT1900AC supports the newer 802.11ac at 5GHz, 802.11n at 5GHz and 2.4GHz. It also supports 802.11B and 802.11G at 2.4GHz!
This is a beast of a wireless router with top notch specs so why don't I go out and get one? Well the real draw back is the price. WRT1900AC cost $249.99! However, the WRT1900AC is one of the most powerful routers in the current market as of 4/21/2014, and I would be paying for premium device.
The WRT54G back then cost me about $80, but it wasn't the top of the line model back then.
So I did buy a WRT1900AC because of it's future potential to grow. Most device don't even use 802.11ac, and it be a while before it becomes really main stream.
I will post more about the WRT1900AC as I play and use it more.

No comments: