Monday, April 7, 2014

I Really Like The Large Graphic Novel Format.

Ever since I was a kid I really enjoyed reading comic books. I also really enjoyed looking at the art in the comic book. It's because of comic books that I really enjoy drawing.
The one draw back for comic books for me is that most of the comic stories come in monthly issues, and at many times I couldn't keep up collecting and reading them.
This is where the large graphic novel format comes in. Graphic novel's contain all the issues for that particular comic story in one book. That way I can read the entire story from start to ending with out hunting around for each single issues that it originally published in.
For example, Marvel recently released a complete Infinity event story arc in one hardback book. Usually the story spans several different and multiple comic book issues, but this Infinity hardback edition has all the issues in one book all in reading order. The only real draw back is that the hardback edition of Infinity cost $75 which is pretty spendy for a graphic novel.
The cost of the graphic novel is also a draw back as well. Generally the cost for a graphic novel cost $20-$40. While a single comic book issue cost around $2-$5.
However, if I wanted to look for older comic book issues. It could cost much more then they previously cost when they were first printed depending on the comic book and how popular the issue is.
For example, Marvel in the 1990's had a story arc called Fatal Attractions which involved multiple X-Men, Wolverine books. If I were to go out and collect each comic book issue. It would probably cost two times more then it would be in graphic novel format.
I do have a couple of the Fatal Attraction books in my collection, but not all of them.
There are also the digital edition of the books as well, but the digital format is pretty much new that not every comic book is in digital format.
Avengers Vs X-Men is not in the iTunes book library for purchase. Neither is Infinity, and several other graphic novels.
The digital edition is also cheaper then their physical counterpart, but one would need a tablet device to download and read digital books and a tablet device can cost from $200-$500 depending on which device to read on.
Either digital or physical, I really enjoy reading comic books in graphic novel format.

No comments: