Saturday, March 25, 2017

Seven Years Ago.

It's been seven years ago since I purchased my first computer which was a laptop. I had a used desktop that I gotten from a friend and it was uncomfortable to use because I didn't have room in my room for it. I then decided to get a laptop because it was easy to store and easy to carry around. At the time it took me a while to research which laptop I wanted and I finally decided on getting a 16 inch Sony Viao F series laptop with a first generation Intel quad core i7 processor running Windows 7 64bit. At the time it was a capable gaming laptop, and I really enjoyed using Windows 7. Also the Viao was the only one at the price that included a Blu Ray optical drive. The Viao served me quiet well this hole time, and it still does. However, changes to some of the games has made it more difficult to run on it. For example, Star Trek Online made some graphic changes that slowed it down on my Viao laptop when before it would have ran really well. Also it's seven years old, and since then Intel released seven more generation i series processors. The current generation is Intel's seventh generation code named Kady Lake i series processors. There have been large number of improvements in this generation since my first generation i7, and I won't go into that right now.
Also the designs of laptops have changed towards being thinner and more compact. Removing the optical drive entirely.
I could have gotten another laptop earlier when Windows 8 came out. Unfortunately, Win 8 wasn't as popular as Win 7, and the removal of the start bar in Win 8 didn't go well with windows users including me. Therefore, I skipped Windows 8 for my self. I did buy my parents a budget laptop that ran Win 8 for them to use because their computer was getting really old since it only ran the out dated Windows 2000. Using their laptop and Win 8, I found I liked it better then I thought and I still wouldn't want it.
Now, the current Windows is Windows 10, (yes it did skip 9 and no one really knows why.)
I still have my Viao laptop, and it is getting old. I thought about going to Apple. Their MacBook Pro line have been nice, and also very expensive. How expensive? The 15 inch MacBook Pro started at around $2200! Also their current version of the MacBook Pro's came with new features that increased the price. I then decided to not spend the money on a Macbook.
Another Windows gaming laptop have also gotten allot more expensive since my Viao. Many of the laptops with the specs I was looking at cost well over $2000. One of the reason I got my Viao was that it was a good price at the time.
So which laptop would I like? There are laptops know as convertible which means they can be used as a typical laptop but also convert into a tablet. This type interested me because of my talent for art. I've been drawing more, and I wanted something that I can use and learn to do digital art. I thought about getting the new Wacom Mobile Studio 16 inch pro. Unfortunately, the price is $3000! Wacom is a company that manufactures equipment for professional artiest and companies. I am currently not a professional artiest and I can not justifie the cost to getting the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro.
There are candidates of other laptops that can do what the Wacom does at a cheaper prices. These candidates does have some limitation. It doesn't have all the precise controls the Wacom does. However, the video reviews show allot of promise.

No comments: