Monday, April 3, 2017

Tea Time.

I started brewing and drinking loose leaf tea a few years ago. First thing, it's not cheap. It is more expensive then bagged tea you can buy in big 'box' stores.
Bagged teas are usually not made from the large leafs of the tea. They are usually made from the left over after the processes of the high grade tea leafs. The dust/crumbs so to speak. This is what makes the tea cheaper, and from most of my life I used to drink Lipton tea bags. I then tried Earl Gray tea because Captain Picard drank Earl Gray in Star Trek The Next Generation, and I liked it. Back then teas were mostly available in bags. It is just recently that I can remember that allot of stores, mostly organic and natural food stores are selling loose tea because the demand is rising.
Firstly tea has been proven to be healthy with antioxidants, and natural caffeine. Each type of tea from black tea to green tea and Oolong tea have their benefits.
It also takes more work to brew loose leaf tea requiring special tea brewers. Also different teas require different temperatures to brew the tea because brewing say green tea with boiling water can and will burn the leaves leaving a bitter taste. Getting a kettle that you can control the temperature goes along way to brewing the best flavor from the tea.
I now use a one touch tea maker that can heat the water and steep the tea at the same time. Not everyone can afford a tea maker like this, but from first hand experience. This tea maker has made brewing the perfect cup of tea each time.
Also the more expensive the tea the better it is. Darjeeling tea I get cost $20 for 2 ounces because the store said it's from a rare blend of Darjeeling tea that comes from a farm in India. Also, it's the only place I can find Darjeeling tea. Allot of stores don't even sell the bagged Darjeeling tea.
The most expensive tea I got is a Yellow Tea from china that originally cost $30 for 2 ounces. Thankfully I got it half off during last sale.
Also the best parts about drinking fresh brewed loose leaf tea is the flavors, and using unrefined rock sugar adds sweetness but not change the flavor of the tea like regular granulated white sugar can. There are so much things I can say and write about tea.

No comments: