Monday, October 2, 2017

Forza Motorsport 7: Loot Boxes, VIP Membership Not Permanent, Micro transactions Oh My!

I was excited to get the new Ultimate Edition Forza Motorsport 7 for the Xbox One that is until I heard that the VIP membership that comes with the ultimate edition is now a consumable and only last 25 times. Then it's gone! I suspect the little crown that is next to your gamer tag stays to indicate that you are a VIP, but all the benefits of VIP only last 25 times!
In all the Forza Motorsport games the VIP gave me special cars and credits as long as the game was in installed. Now, it has been taken away, and I don't see the point in spending $100 for the ultimate edition.
There is also loot boxes in Forza 7. Yes you heard me, loot boxes! These contain items such as car mods. Loot boxes also means grinding to buy them. It also means that it will lead to micro transactions later down the road.
It looks like Forza 7 is designed around micro transaction from the start.
Forza 5 had this too, and it didn't do very well because of the micro transaction back lash.
Forza 6 was much better. It had Micro transactions, but not as bad as Forza 7 is going to have.
Am I surprised by this? Not really.

  • Do I like how games are turning to micro transactions and loot boxes even when the game cost $60 - $100 depending on the version of the game? NO! Several times I spend $100 for an 'Ultimate/Gold Edition' just to have items in game behind a pay wall forcing me to spend real money for them. 
  • Do I spend the real money? No. I just have to live with out those items while playing the game if I even do buy the game in the first place. (At first there will not be micro transaction in the game, but just like Forza Horizon 3. The micro transactions will be added later in a future update). 
  • Will I get Froza 7? I don't know at this point. I did get the game. Have not installed it at this point due do work and life stuff.
The excitement of getting and playing Forza 7 is gone. The excitement of getting and playing Forza 7 is not gone, but the frustration remains. Spending allot of money on a game and not being able to to get value is really frustrating.

  • October 4th, 2013: I did get Forza Motorsport 7 because I've enjoyed the game series since the first Forza Motor sport and I couldn't pass down racing in this new game.
  • Good news everyone! VIP membership will be fixed to its original state. This is good because I did also get the ultimate edition too.
  • The frustration is still there. Knowing they even would go down a path that would take value away from VIP in the first place and the only way for change is to hear frustrated and angry gamers is also frustrating.
  • October 6th, 2017: Still have not installed the game because of work and life stuff. That and I've been playing Destiny 2 and trying to complete the leviathan raid at least once!

No comments: